Sunday, 14 September 2008

The Week That Was...

Tervetuloa!
(that's welcome in Suomi. A week here and she's already showing off her Finnish skills! hmph)

Ok, I don't particularly like the name of this blog, but I wasn't allowed to name it anything else. (said who? God knows!) :P

Here's the blog that I had promised. Just so all of you get an idea of my life here. Why? Just, like that.

Suomi, 6th - 13th September 2008

I was told about culture shock, but I didn't quite know what everyone meant. Stupid ignorant me thought it was only about the 'culture' and behaviour of people. And I told everyone, Oh I have interacted with Finns before, it's nothing. I'm sure it will be fine.

And yes, people were right, I did get a shock at how easy and convenient everything is. Things are automated, the weather is cold, the streets are clean, there aren't too many living beings around sometimes. Yes it has been a bit of a shock to me.

But the people I do interact with on a daily basis, are quite friendly and fun to be with. Well, most of them.

So let me introduce you to them.

Shall we begin with my housemate, Rit Mishra.


The Misra is friendly and quiet and highly pessimistic. He is very sure I'm going to break something in the house or get somethings dirty or messy.

This picture was taken last Sunday, when he was cooking दाल-चावल for us.
The dal got burnt. I don't blame him. It's the electric stove. Neither of us are used to it.

I burnt oats the first time I cooked! Actually just the utensil got kinda burnt at the bottom, I personally thought the oats were quite nice :P

So this Mishra keeps to himself most of the time. In the evenings when both of us are at home, he's forever on Skype, talking to his family and girlfriend.
We speak to each other after we get back from our respective work places. And say good morning, bye and hello to each other at other times.


Now here's Mr.Robertus Moonen. He sounded like a 40-something man over the phone. He happens to be the co-ordinator of our internships at Laurea University. He received me at the airport on Saturday. I didn't know what to expect, except maybe a 40+ man. And I was pleasantly susprised at who I saw!
He is 27, stays close to my place. The next building, rather. We found his funny pictures on my laptop at the lab. Jolanta and I decided to take a picture this way and mail it to him. He's away for a week at Lapland. He's gone trekking there. So when he does return and checks his mail, he's gonna be in for a surprise! :)

Rob as everyone calls him, is a sweetheart. He's Dutch, a lot of fun to be with and very helpful. Yeah, I know you can't see his face very clearly. But I plan to upload the rest of the pictures on maybe Picasa, so you can look at all of them.

That's Jola (yo-la). None of us call her Jolanta. She's Polish and sits next to me at the lab.


From left to right: Victor-Pau, from Spain. Chrisje, from Holland, Julius, another internship co-ordinator, Finnish, and Denise, also works at Laurea, she's from Germany. (all Js pronounced as य)

There are couple of more people who aren't in the picture, but they are Elisa, Finnish, works at Laurea and Isabel, Spanish, student intern.

On Monday, the 8th, we went bowling together. The entire jing bang. No prizes for guessing who lost miserably.

After which we went to a karaoke bar. We were told it's part of the Finnish tradition, singing at a karaoke bar. Well Julius said that to us. It's quite likely he said it only to make us sing there! And we all did! Every one of us!
Some in pairs and some solos. Julius has a psychedelic-rock band of his own. So yes, he's into music and quite passionate about singing as he crooned away to quite a few tracks at the bar. He didn't need any encouragement! ;)
And again no prizes for guessing who managed to sing well and earn praises from the people at the bar for singing Zombie :) :P
Chrisje and Jola have decided never to go to a karaoke bar with me!
But I told them that some people are good at bowling and some others, good at singing.

We got back quite late that night - 1 a.m. But it was a fun-filled evening with the lot. We all laughed quite a bit, mostly thanks to Julius and Rob, making remarks at each other.

On Wednesday night was the university clubbing night. I was undecided about going, but went eventually. The club was huge, loads of space to dance, many bar islands, one could call them.. I think the place was only filled with Laurea students.

Nothing much to talk about it. I danced, the music was good. But the ones who know me, I wasn't myself there at all. Yes, I did dance ALL the time as usual. But I only knew Chrisje and Jola. Whereas they knew a lot of the other people. I had come here a week late, hence the feeling of being left out. The entry was 2 Euros, probably cos we were from Laurea. I took with me, a large bag, big enough to stuff my jacket, so I don't have to pay for the coat rack! :) Yes, they charge about 2e for the coat.
So there I was, with a big bag on my shoulder, not being able to dance all that well and feeling lonely in a crowded place!
But it was an experience nonetheless, so I'm glad I went. Atleast I can now recognise a few faces at Laurea.

Yesterday (Sat, 13th) Laureamko, the student organisation, went on a trip to Tallinn, Estonia. I didn't know of it and the sign-up was closed when I did get to know. So my friends went to Tallinn yesterday while I was learning to cook rice and rasam, yes that's right, rasam on the electric stove and with ingredients that were mostly bought here in Finland!

If you're curious about the food. Yes, it did taste strange. But I'm learning so it's cool :)

Oh yes, totally forgot about my Friday evening that I spent with Namita Savla. Who is Namita? She's a common friend, I was introduced to while I was house hunting before I got here. We met close to her office that evening and went cord shopping for my laptop. And got myself this internet connection as well.
Tried out a couple of jackets and woolen caps at a store. Bought Indian/Asian ingredients from an Asian store. Had a veg sub at Subway.

Which reminds me, I bit into a turkey sandwich at a meeting on Tuesday! I took a bite of a very vegetarian looking sandwich, which had green and cheese and टमाटर peeking out from between. (hmm.. I've begun eating the damn thing! can't help it when veg food is sparse!) I totally ignored the pink layer and tasted something bland and meaty ;)
When I did realise something was wrong, Rob and the other person at the meeting said, Oh that's turkey! (Istanbul, save me!) :P Bad joke, never mind.
I opened the sandwich, took the meat out and yes, the tomato, now that I had the chance and ate a leafy cheese sandwich! Bon Appetit to me!

Moving on, and by now whoever is still reading this, you're quite patient and/or are reeeaaally interested in my life here! ;)

But I shall take pity on all of you and end this post here. And फिकर not, I won't write often! Shall spare all of you the trouble and write only if there is interesting stuff to report ;)

Do check out this link though, for more pictures. Especially if you would like the tour of my life here on Mute Mode (i.e w/o listening to my बकबक)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lady, you need to do lots of updates, Now that u started writing about u being in Finlandia.. :-P
Everyday u will have to write blog as this is just the beginning of adventure here..
Good things are still coming..
UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES...hehehe:-)

Anusha said...

Ha!! FINALLY people have started posting comments on my blog!

You know I was about to give up writing this blog, cos I thought no one read it!

Now I know some people who do!

Yes boss... will update soonly! :)

Yay!